Thursday, 16 March 2017

d20 Weird Whales

Whales are weird

Like, really really weird.

They are alien creatures, closer related to humans than to the fish they so resemble. They breath air but live in water. They have a single nostril on top of their heads that they seal off so they don't accidentally kill themselves while going about their daily business. They eat shrimp smaller than any part of their bodies. They sing underwater when they want to mate.

Hang onto your skirts, because whales are a whole lot weirder than that if you add magic into the mix.

But First, an Explanation
Hundreds of thousands of years ago, when the creatures of the world were being created, someone threw a pair of baby seals into an ocean, and that ocean just so happened to be a magical hotspot. Not much is known about exactly what happened to the seals, but suffice to say, it was dramatic, probably explosive, and created whales as we know them.

Continued exposure to the magic over thousands of years has warped whales, particularly whale oil, into a strange, magic-infused mess. Whale oil itself fetches oodles of money (oodles=1000 silver/ton, or 2000-3000 silver per whale).

Whale hunting is a common and dangerous profession. Those who practice it either make their fortune, or die trying.

Typical whale hunting gear involves nets, harpoons, and at least 1 mage.

Whales are bloody weird. Whenever you see a whale, roll on the following table.

What, you thought I would have a post about magic whales
and not include some way for them to fly?

Roll 1d20

  1. The whale can fly at the same speed it can swim.
  2. The whale can swim through land. Only land though, buildings will be crushed against it.
  3. A permanent storm follows the whale, as strong as a hurricane.
  4. The whale is enormous. Stats: double hit points, double damage on attacks, double strength, double Constitution, automatically fails Dexterity checks).
  5. The whale is godlike is size. Stats: good luck. At this point, you aren't picking a fight with an animal, or even a monster. You're fighting a mountain, or a medium-sized island.
  6. The whale has a volcano coming out of it's back. It is immune to all fire from outside (it can still be burned inside, and is in constant pain from lave). It can, as an action, blow a cone of lava dealing 8d6 damage on a failed Dexterity check vs DC 18 (half damage on a save). This turns to rock on contact with water. The water near the whale is boiling hot, and deals 1 damage per round to any creature submerged in it.
  7. The whale operates on a slightly different timeline than everyone else. Every attack against it deals 1d10% of it's maximum health, while any non-damaging effect makes it's hit points 1d100% of it's maximum health (this can make it heal health or take damage). It's attacks are made from paradoxes, and mean that you are both hit and not hit at the same time. The attacks have a 75% chance to deal damage, a 24% chance to heal you, and a 1% chance to instantly heal you.
  8. Absorbs people into it's body. Any creature it touches fuses with the outside of it's body if they fail a Constitution check against DC 13, and their nervous systems fuse together. It has 1d4 creatures from your random encounter table already there, and can call on their knowledge. Every time a creature is assimilated, the whale gains a bonus to intelligence equal to the creature's intelligence modifier +1 (so a creature with +0 intelligence would give the whale +1 intelligence, while a creature with -2 intelligence would give the whale -1 intelligence). In addition, it can use the creature's spells and abilities (although it may not know how). It's hit points are equal to 100+the hit points of all the creatures it has assimilated.
  9. Smart. The whale has an intelligence comparable to a human.
  10. Fast. The whale can swim at twice the normal speed, and jump 3x as high.
  11. Lucky. Whenever the whale would fail a roll (or an opponent's roll would succeed), they whale may roll a luck check with a luck of 11. If it succeeds, the check succeeds (or, if it was an opponent's check, fails).
  12. Cult. A cult follows the whale. It has 1d20 barbarians following it around on boats, who will die for it if need be. If it has 1 cultist, the cultist is a very confused fisherman named Billy, who doesn't remember anything. 2 cultists mean Billy is joined by his equally confused wife.
  13. Acidic. The whale leaks acid into the surrounding water. When it swims it leaves a 15 foot trail that lasts for 1 hour behind it. While in that trail, any living creature takes 1d8 acid damage each round, and wooden ships will corrode in 1d6 rounds. Anyone who touches it take 1d4 damage.
  14. Invisible. The whale is invisible. Drinking it's oil will turn your innards and blood permanently invisible, and lamps that burn the oil shed an ambient light with no discernible source (yes, this does encourage PCs to cut themselves and then smear the blood all over them to become invisible, and yes, this works. Shuddap).
  15. The whale is being ridden by a wizard named Shukila the Mad, who can only cast charm spells.
  16. The whale is undead. 50% chance of having a necromancer and 2d10 zombies inside.
  17. The whale is eldritch and alien to look at (it might look a little like a bear). You must make a DC 15 composure check or lose 1 sanity while looking at it.
  18. The whale is hairy and coloured ice-blue. It has resistance to cold damage, and can turn anything it touches into ice. Lamps made from it's oil burn cold.
  19.  The whale is nearly indestructible. It has 1000 hit points.
  20. The whale is Beeooooouuuuuuuaaaaaaaa, the god of whales. He has intelligence as a human, and all normal god abilities (immune to non-magical damage, can create miracles, all whales like him).
Whale
Collossal Beast
Attacks. Slam +6, 4d8+10. Double damage to objects.
AC. 10
Stats: Str+10, Con+6, Dex-8, Int-4, Wis0, Cha0
HP: 300
Speed.  Swim.
Blowhole. A whale has to come up every half-hour for air.
 
Populate this with rat-monkies or some shit like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment